Are You Part of the Twenty Percent?

weight loss exercise class

weight loss exercise class (Photo credit: ninahale)

Dr. Jessica Bartfield, who specializes in nutrition and weight management at the Loyola Center for Metabolic Surgery & Bariatric Care, says,  “Losing weight is one of the top resolutions made every year, yet only 20 percent of people achieve successful weight-loss and maintenance.” So what separates the biggest losers from the other 80 percent? Dr. Bartfield says there are four reasons:

  1. Underestimating the number of calories you take in during one day – You can’t eliminate foods you just taste or sample. If you write it all down, it will increase your awareness of what you are actually eating.
  2. Overestimating how much activity you are involved in and how many calories those activities burn – You need to eliminate 500 calories daily to lose one pound per week. To accomplish this, you need more than exercise; you must add at least 60 minutes of vigorous activity every day. Instead, try increasing activity throughout the day and get 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise most days.
  3. Timing meals inappropriately –  You shouldn’t go any longer than five hours without eating a healthy snack or meal to keep your metabolism functioning properly.
  4. Getting too little sleep – Sleeping less than six hours at night will cause you to have higher levels of ghrelin, a hormone that stimulates appetite, especially for high calorie foods.

If you would like more information: click here for the article.

Advertisements

~ by chasm63 on January 4, 2013.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: